- (On the bus, Dexter and his friend Douglas E. Mordecai III are listening to a Walkman; both boys are heard laughing; Dexter gasps and both he and Mordecai laugh again)
- Dee Dee: Hey, what are you nerds laughing about?
- Dexter: We are enjoying a scientific learning program which is tickling our intellectual fancies. Now leave us alone!
- Mordecai: Let's hear it again!
- (He rewinds the tape; Dee Dee grabs the dual headphone jack and pulls it out of its slot)
- Mordecai: Hey!
- Man: Chapter 8: Reproduction.
- (Dee Dee gasps)
- Dexter: Oh my! Douglas, quick, shut up the tape!
- Dee Dee: I can't believe you nerds are listening to that!
- Boy: Yeah, that's the only way they'll ever learn about it!
- Becky: Jeez, like, how uncool.
- Gwen: Dexter, you're such a dork.
- (Everyone except Dexter and Mordecai laughs)
- Mordecai: You take that back! Dexter's way cooler than any of you guys, lemme tell ya!
- Dexter: Shh! Shh! Shh! Shh!
- Mordecai: When I've been note of you have an interdimensional multiverse like my good buddy here.
- (Everyone except Dexter laughs)
- Dexter: I do not think they understand, Doug...
- (Dee Dee reaches down toward Dexter's glasses and covers her eyes with them)
- Dexter: Hey!
- Dee Dee: Look, I'm Dexter!
- Dexter: Give those back!
- (The bus pulls up to Huber Elementary; the students get off the bus while chattering; back inside, Dexter is seen crawling on the floor looking for his glasses)
- Dexter: Hey, has anybody seen my glasses? Oh, my parents are going to be mad at whoever took my glasses. Aha!
- (He picks the glasses up and puts them on; Dexter looks at the bus in a kaleidoscope-type view; he leans to both sides)
- Bus driver: Hey, kid. You better get moving. School's about to start.
- (Dexter looks at the world around him and gasps in awe; inside the glasses, six copies of the bus driver appears)
- Bus driver: Well, go on, kid! Get going!
- (Outside the bus, Dexter walks up to Mordecai)
- Dexter: Hello, Douglas.
- Mordecai: Hey, Dexter. *he looks at Dexter's glasses* Hey, what happened to your glasses?
- Dexter: Oh, they got a little scuffed back there, but they're okay. You might even say that they give me a whole new look.
- (Dexter laughs sheepishly; inside the glasses; six Mordecais appear)
- Mordecai: Oh-ho, I get ya! Say that's pretty nifty! So where can I get a pair?
- (He laughs; on a nearby rock, Becky and Gwen watch the boys have their conversation; Gwen whispers into Becky's ear)
- Dexter: Oh, good one! *laughs* But seriously, let us make haste, our education waits!
- Gwen: Hold it right there. We just want to know what's up with those glasses.
- Dexter: Oh, it's my new look.
- Becky: Well..., we just wanted to tell you... we think you're, like, really cool.
- Gwen: Yeah!
- (The girls laugh and run off to the left)
- Mordecai: Hmm... Fascinating. Apparently, your new style of eyewear is considered "cool" by our female peers.
- Dexter: Indeed. I think I will experiment these for a little bit.
- (A school bell rings; Dexter is in one class with several students looking at him in admiration of his broken glasses)
- Dexter: *to Becky* Psst! Hey! Do you like my new glasses? Just checking. *short pause* They don't look dorky, do they?
- Becky: Oh, no, Dexter. They're super cool.
- Dexter: Oh, thanks! I'm glad you think so. You know, the really cool thing about them is when you put them on, it... uh, it... Here, try 'em for yourself.
- (He hands the glasses to Becky; she puts them on and immediately becomes delighted)
- Becky: Cool! Super cool! Oh, wow, these are SO amazing!
- Dexter: Hey, hey! Give them back.
- (He puts the glasses back on his face)
- Dexter: Just remember, this is my idea.
- (In the hallway; Dexter is seen walking to his next class; Mordecai is walking down the hallway carrying a set of books)
- Mordecai: Hey, Dexter! Over here! Hey, good bud!
- (The other students look at Dexter's broken glasses and run over to him; Mordecai watches as the crowd of students admire his glasses, much to his dismay)
- Boy 1: So, Dexter, my man, tell us again about the glasses.
- Dexter: Well, it is just a little experiment I am trying.
- (The girl spins her eyes around)
- Girl: Far out, you really are a genius.
- Boy 2: A regular, fashioned, wonder kid.
- Boy 1: A cool guy besides. So, tell me, cool guy, where did you get those glasses?
- ('The students all ask questions; Mordecai walks away sad with his upper body dangling)
- (The next day on the bus, several kids are all seen wearing broken glasses)
- Becky: Do you think my glasses are cool, too?
- Gwen: Yeah, but they're not as cool as Dexter's.
- (Mordecai is seen sitting alone; Dee Dee pops out from behind the seat)
- Dee Dee: Huh?! I can't believe it. My brother Dexter's the coolest kid in school. What kind of trick is this?
- Mordecai: It's no trick. He's conducting a scientific experiment.
- Dee Dee: I don't know. Looks like the "experiment" is conducting him.
- (Back at the other side of the bus; Dexter is seen looking at his hand)
- Dexter: Look at your hand. That is pretty cool, huh?
- Students: Wow...
- (Dee Dee hides behind her seat)
- (At Huber Elementary, Mordecai is at his locker; Dexter walks up to him)
- Dexter: Hello, Douglas. Long time no see.
- Mordecai: *disbelief* Yeah, I haven't seen you in a while either.
- Boy: *to Mordecai* Nice glasses, dork. *laughs*
- Mordecai: Dexter, is this still part of the "experiment"?
- Dexter: Experiment? What are you talking about? And, by the way, the style is to break your glasses.
- (At home, Dexter is seen watching TV with Dad; Dad looks at Dexter's glasses)
- Dad: Hey, Dexter, don't you think we should get those fixed?
- (Dexter folds his arms)
- Dexter: No way, man! These are my ticket to Coolsville!
- Dad: Ha! Listen, "man", I know you think you came up with the broken glasses bit...
- (Time warp to a younger version of Dad; he is seen wearing a pair of broken glasses and bumps into a telephone pole; he is later seen playing with a hula hoop)
- Dad: But back when I was your age, that was a fad for a while, but then we all just moved on to the next cool thing.
- (Time warp back to the present day)
- Dexter: Oh, don't worry, Dad. I have been calculating several strategies to give up this style for many years to come.
- (On the bus, everyone except Dexter is seen looking away while holding their broken glasses in hand)
- Dexter: See? Yesterday, plaid glasses were cool. Today, red glasses are cool. Tomorrow, who knows?
- (The bus is heard coming to a halt and the door is heard opening)
- Bus driver: Hey, kid. Do you need any help?
- Mandark: No, thank you. No additional assistance is necessary.
- (Mandark is seen getting on the bus; his left arm and left leg are both seen wrapped in casts)
- Boy: Check out the cast!
- (The students clamor in agreement; Dexter clenches his fists)
- Dexter: Daaah! That is not cool!
- (Becky is seen looking at Mandark with a grin on her face)
- Becky: Are you kidding? That's the coolest!
- Dexter: Hey, hey, people! The glasses! Remember these?
- Becky: *ignoring Dexter* Oh my gosh, those are incredible!
- Boy: Dude, what's up with the casts?
- Mandark: Well, you generally receive a surgical supportive splint for a fracture or dislocation of any ligaments or for broken bones in lame man terms.
- Becky: Mandark... Your casts... are like so cool!
- Mandark: You think my casts are cool?
- (Dexter walks near Mordecai and jumps onto the seat)
- Dexter: Bah, casts are just a fad!
- (He takes the glasses off and realizes)
- Dexter: Broken glasses are uncool.
- Mordecai: But a broken heart is uncooler.
- (Dexter turns away in sadness; Mordecai looks at him and smiles; he clears his throat and presents Dexter with the headphones and Walkman)
- Man: Chapter 9: Photosynthesis.
- Dexter: Oh, this'll be even cooler than the last chapter.
- Douglas: Yeah, it will.
- (Iris cut to black)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.